About the Tutoring Program
The Carnegie Center Tutoring Program is an academic program for students in grades K-12. Students are matched with a volunteer tutor to work one-on-one in reading and/or math for one hour a week. The Tutoring Program has been running since 1992. It has been named the Best Tutoring Program in Lexington by Family Magazine for multiple years. More than 1,000 students have been tutored in the program.
- School-year tutoring: There is a non-refundable registration fee of $60.00 payable upon acceptance to the school-year tutoring program. If your child is on free/reduced lunch at school, the non-refundable fee is $5.00. School-year tutoring runs approximately from September through May. The school year program follows the Fayette County Public Schools Calendar. When Fayette County School are closed or canceled for inclement weather, there is no tutoring.
- Summer tutoring: There is a non-refundable registration fee of $35.00 payable upon acceptance to the summer tutoring session. If your child is on free/reduced lunch at school, the non- refundable fee is $5.00. The summer tutoring session runs for 7-weeks during June and July.
Available tutoring hours are Monday-Thursday from 10:00-7:15 pm, Friday from 10:00-4:45 pm, and Saturday from 10:00 am-1:45 pm.
Tutors and students’ guardians are instructed to contact each other directly when running late or needing to reschedule a scheduled tutoring time due to travel, college spring break, sickness, etc.
School Year Tutoring Registration Lottery Window
The registration window for school year tutoring lottery is open August 1-31. A random lottery is used to select students for the school year. Lottery registrants are contacted with the results by mid-September. Students that are not selected in the lottery are placed on a waiting list. Registrations for the school year tutoring lottery are not accepted outside of the August 1-31 window.
Summer Session Tutoring Registration Lottery Window
The registration window for the summer tutoring lottery is open April 1-30. A random lottery is used to select students for the 7 week summer tutoring session. Lottery registrants are contacted with the results by mid-May. Students that are not selected in the lottery are placed on a waiting list. Registrations for the 7-week summer tutoring session are not accepted outside of the April 1-30 window.
There are two ways to register for the tutoring lottery:
Phone (859-254-4175, ext 22)
If registering online, please read and follow the following directions:
- Registrations are only accepted during the lottery registration windows listed above
- Click on the link below and enter ‘1’ in the ticket cart, even if you have more than one child.
- Fill out your information in the correct fields. In the COMMENTS section list ALL names of children whom you want in the tutoring program, their dates of birth (mo/day/year), grade levels, and what subject(s) they need help with (math/reading). You do NOT need to enter your child’s name in the other Information section.
- You will receive a confirmation email for your registration.
Be a Tutor
Applications for tutoring are welcome from volunteers 16 or over. Applicants who are in high school must have a Teacher Recommendation Form (link). We have two options for tutors, each of which requires a one-hour-a-week commitment:
- School year tutoring: From approximately September through May, you would meet weekly after school with a K-12 student and help with a subject you are comfortable tutoring. Available tutoring hours are Monday-Thursday from 3:30 7:30 pm, Friday from 3:30-5 pm, and Saturday from 10 am-2 pm.
- Summer tutoring: In June and July, you would meet weekly with a K-12 student and help with a subject you are comfortable tutoring. Available hours are Monday-Thursday 10 am-7:30 pm, Friday from 10 am-5 pm, and Saturday from 10 am-2 pm.
All tutors are required to attend a brief orientation, and a background check is required for all applicants 18 or older.For more information, please contact Tutoring Director Carol Jordan by phone at 859-254-4175, ext. 22 or email at email@example.com.
Important Dates and Information
The tutoring program typically follows the calendar of Fayette County Public Schools. This calendar will be updated as we receive information from them about the 2020/2021 school year.